See below for a guide to the most frequently asked questions by our customers.
- How do I find my nearest Roger Oates retailer?
Please see the Where To Buy section on our website which lists local stockists or call 01531 632718 for more information.
- Which width of stair runner should I choose?
We recommend that you have a minimum margin of 5cm either side of your runner and the edge of your staircase. Roger Oates flatweaves are woven in standard width (approx. 70cm wide) or a narrow width (approx 60cm wide). Most designs are woven in one width, but a selection are woven in both widths.
- I have winding steps. Can I still have a stair runner?
A flatweave quality is recommended if you have winding steps as it is supple and flexible. In the majority of cases where you have a minimum of three winding steps over a 90 degree turn the stripes can be matched in the crutch of the step if a flatweave is used. A good fitter is essential.
- How much will I need?
- For straight steps, measure one riser and one tread to give the length need for each step. Include the “nose” in the measurement (see drawing A). Check that all treads and risers on your stairs have the same measurements.
- Count steps and check for differing depths.
- Multiple the number of steps x length needed for each step. If the steps all have different measurements, you will need to measure each one individually and add the measurements together.
- To calculate the quantity needed for winding steps, measure the distance along the outside perimeter (see drawing B).
- Measure the final riser of the flight and also add an extra 50cm per flight to allow for tolerance.
- Do I need to buy stair rods with my stair runner?
Your stair runner is held in place by gripper. Stair rods are purely decorative however do add a smart finishing touch. Please see our stair rod section to view the different styles available.
- What happens on landing areas?
There are various options available. Please see the gallery section on our website for ideas and inspiration.
- What kind of underlay and gripper should be used with my runner?
A good quality rubber crumb and felt underlay is always recommended for both flatweave and wilton installations. Pin gripper should be used with a wilton runner and Microplast gripper should be used with a flatweave runner. If you have a loose runner/rug on a hard floor or carpet we recommend that Antiskid underlay is used to prevent slippage.
- Can I use my own fitter?
Flatweave is a specialised material therefore it is essential that you employ somebody experienced in fitting the product. Good fitters will leave you with a high quality installation which will ensure that the carpet performs better over its lifespan. Ask your local stockist if they have a portfolio of work that you can have a look at or if they have any customer references.
- What is the lead-time?
Our runners are not mass produced due to the nature of the looms used and are more often than not woven to order. Please check stock situations before placing an order. Maximum lead-times, which include the spinning of the yarns and the dying process together with the actual weaving, can extend to approximately 10-12 weeks at busy times of the year.
- How do I care for my runner?
Clean regularly with a suction vacuum cleaner to remove surface dirt.
If any spillages occur, act quickly. Blot the liquid with a soft, colourless absorbent cloth then dab with a clean cloth dampened with upholstery shampoo solution. Rinse and blot dry. Protective treatments such as Scotchgard can be applied after installation. The WoolSafe Organisation list a number of cleaning products and methods suitable for wool products on their website
- What is the life expectancy of my stair runner?
It is impossible to guarantee how long your stair runner will last as they wear very differently dependent on the individual household and layout of the staircase. Life expectancy is also affected by the quality of the fitting and type of underlay used. A rubber crumb and felt underlay similar in height to the gripper rod should always be used. To prolong the life, a shoe-free policy is recommended and ensure the installation is completed to a high standard. Please note that our runners are only recommended for domestic settings.
- Can I request a sample?
Yes. You can order samples online or please call one of our showrooms on 020 7351 2288 or 01531 632718. Cuttings are free of charge or larger samples are available for a refundable deposit.
- Do you have a Brochure?
Yes, our brochure can be viewed online or sent to you in the post (UK only). View or order here.
- Can I have a special colour?
We offer a bespoke design and colour service for minimum quantities. Please speak to a member of our sales team who can advise further.
- Do you have a returns policy?
Please consult our full Terms and Conditions of Business on the website for further information.
We cannot accept returns on cut lengths, custom runners or stair rods. We also do not accept returns on pre-fabricated areas such as seamed wall to wall landings.